Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I'm A Military Wife, I'm A Regular Person

Two lovely Military wives that I follow around in this blogland put together quite an interesting link-up for Military wife bloggers. The point of it? To prove to the world wrong of the negative stereotype flying around. Being a Military wife does not automatically mean that you married your man for the money or the benefits. Women actually do marry men because they fell in love with that person, not because of what job he has.

It's sad that there are people out there that think everyone in our situation are lowlife's, just because we fell in love with someone who serves our country. 

Mal Smiles

To start things off....
No, we don't have any kids.
No, we aren't struggling to get by.
No, we don't make a lot of money.
Yes, I am in love with my husband.
Yes, I am proud of my husband.
Yes, he is also my best friend.
Yes, I have career dreams.
Yes, I am my own person.
Yes, I am INdependent.

Yes, I am in love with someone who serves our country, and I held back on things I wanted to do in life so I could be with him, and be by his side.

YES. I am just a regular person, who fell in love with her best friend, who also happens to be a regular person....
_____________________________________________________________________

My name is Brook. I am the wife of a soldier, who has been in the Army for almost three years now. I've completed two years of college (the beginning process of becoming a psychologist!) so far, and put a hold on my education to move away from my family and friends and be with the love of my life, who also happens to by my best friend. I'm such a social person, family and friends mean everything to me. Moving away from everyone was really tough on me, but being away from the one person I couldn't stop thinking about was too hard for me. I moved to be with my husband, and to support him along his journey in the Military. Growing up, I always told myself I would never even date a guy in the Military, because I didn't want to deal with how tough it would be, especially if I were to lose him. Funny how that turned out now didn't it? Even though I had always told myself that, I ended up falling in love with someone who wanted to serve our country, and I wanted to support his decisions.

My husband and I met our junior year of high school. We became friends, and then more than friends. He left for basic when I started college. He talked about marrying me while he was at basic, and I laughed along thinking it was just us talking about what-if scenarios. One block leave, a year after him joining, he popped the question. We stayed engaged for a year. In that year I completed another year of college, worked, and planned our wedding. We married on July 13th, 2013. We now live at the National Training Center in Southern California, which means I am lucky enough to only part with him for a week or two every month. And on top of that, he gets four days off work every month, where we get to take the long road to a town and go on a date. We have dreams about our future, and we both support each other. Whenever I see family, they always ask me how married life is, and honestly I never really know what to say. I'm just in a new place, and I'm here with my best friend, my husband.

The one thing I wish that people knew about being a Military spouse? Not everyone is the same, and it's not as hard as you think it is. Everyone here has different lives, and different goals for their future. It's not hard to stay faithful to the man that I love. It is totally worth it to be by my husbands side. It's also a struggle sometimes. You have to hold up fort when he's gone. You have to do a lot of things on your own, and be independent.

I always told myself I could never date anyone in the Military. It's too tough. I'm a tough woman though. My heart swells with love for my husband. Just thinking about how much I love him makes my eyes fill with tears (don't worry, they're happy tears). I'm happy to be where I am, because I'm with the love of my life, my best friend.