Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Raising Awareness

http://afsp.donordrive.com/assets/AFSP/files/Walk%20Banner%202%2Egif

After his long battle with depression, my family lost a father, husband, brother, uncle, and friend on January 28th of 2008 to suicide.  Nothing will ever change that.

A life is lost to suicide every 16 minutes in the United States. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among fifteen to twenty-four year olds and the second leading cause of death among college students. However, most Americans remain unaware that suicide is a national health problem.  The impact suicide has on the lives of family members, friends, co-workers and the community is devastating.  The loss of human potential is enormous.

I hope that through education and awareness, those suffering with a mental illnesses will be prompted to seek help. This year, I am participating in the Out of the Darkness Community walk for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. It is going to be held at One Mile Recreation Area, Bidwell Park, Chico CA on October 15th, 2011 from 9am to 1pm. Check in time is 8am to 9am. Funds from this event will fund education and research programs for those who suffer from mental disorders, who have lost a loved one to suicide.

My mother and I will be speaking at this event in honor of my dad.

Please,
follow the link below to help me raise awareness, or even to donate in honor of my father, Patrick, with "Team Pat". Anything helps, and I really appreciate everyone and anyone that is supporting me. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask me.