Thursday, February 5, 2015

Moving To Another Country Is Tiring



We finally have our home, instead of living in a hotel. Yay! No more packing up the suitcases. I can officially take everything out of the suitcases and leave it that way. That really is a great feeling. I have been so sick of living out of bags for the past few months. We have a great big house! It has three bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, foyer, laundry room, storage room, garage, and a HUGE back yard! Plus two parking spaces out front not including the garage. It's been snowing non stop since around December 27th. It snowed on and off before that, but now it's a lot more snow coming down then when we first got here. It's a great view, but it's getting colder so we will see how much I can handle the cold haha.

Only first shipment has come. But it wasn't much since the movers weren't helpful with how much we could put in the shipment... Thankfully it included our plates, bowls, pots and pans and whatnot. We can finally cook food instead of buying things like sandwiches or eating out. It's so nice to have a kitchen to cook in again!

Sadly though, while unpacking our first set of boxes we discovered a good amount of broken items. Our coffee mugs that my sister-in-law got us for Christmas, a strainer, a bowl, etc. And there was a whole big box that didn't even make it to our house that included most of our drinking glasses, some of my Rachael Ray cookware, mixing bowls, knives, and much more. Sad, but at least it's nothing that can't be replaced. We just have to file a claim about the missing and broken items to figure out how we get some kind of payment for them.

We don't have a phone or internet yet which is driving me semi insane. We have watched every DVD we own, and even bought more. We have cell phones but they are to German lines only, so we have contact with each other but none of our family or friends back home. Thankfully I can get internet from public places with free wifi whenever we go to base.

Our car isn't here either, haha. So we are pretty much stranded. But... We have fantastic neighbors. I am so thankful to have such helpful and caring neighbors all around us. Many of them have offered to take me to get groceries, use their phone, internet, invited us over for dinner, taken us to town, etc. They are all so nice and helpful I am extremely grateful to be living near all of them!

I've also forgotten the horrible grocery shopping trips that come after you move into a new home. I have gone grocery shopping like three or four times since we got the house and the fridge and cupboards are almost full. Thankfully my neighbor has taken me to town any time I need. She also knocks on my door when she needs to go to town just so I can get out of the house. I don't know what I'd do without my neighbors!