Sunday, March 9, 2014

Weekend Update

For this weekend being a four day weekend, it was pretty weak. This was the first time there was a four day where we didn't take the hour and a half drive to the closest sane town (or just get off base period actually). We left base last weekend so therefore, not enough money to leave again this pay budget. It started off fairly well. Hubs got home from work, and we headed straight over to a friends house to help him nail together the legs of our homemade beer pong table we made the previous days. And when I say we, I mean mainly him and my husband...I made the rules sign and spray painted one leg of the table... We rushed to put them on and all hoped into the car to head off to the bowling alley, one of the very few entertaining things to do here. Every once in a while some people Hubs works with get together and bring their families to the bowling alley so we can all get together and let loose. Not as many people showed up this time, but since I know more people now, it was a lot more fun this go around for me. Besides one other wife, I was the only woman there. Thankfully I had met that wife the last time there was a bowling get together so it was nicer going into something where I already knew people. 

The bowling alley was freaking packed, but after a while (one delicious alcoholic beverage later) we finally got a lane to play on. It was a ton of fun. The soldiers Hubs worked with talked with me and competed with me. It is a really nice feeling of being included. One Sargent even bought me a drink and made a joke later saying that drink is what I needed to start bowling better. I was having a blast, and so was Hubs, who loves to bowl. At the end of the last game someone had one pin left and decided to use the kid bowler helper to knock down the last one. It didn't work, but it made for a funny picture.

After bowling a couple games, some of us went over to our friends house for a few rounds of beer pong and to hang out. I was having fun at first. After a while though, I had a soldier say something completely disrespectful and rude to me. I was shocked. I was hanging out and being friendly, doing exactly (actually probably behaving better) the same thing as everyone else there. Just having a good time, socializing and watching people play a game. I had no idea what to do after that happened. I wanted to cry as soon as it happened. I wanted to go up to him and tell him that he had no right to talk to me like that. Then I thought, what if my husband got in trouble for something that I said or did? I didn't know how things worked in military life. I'm still new to this. What if it isn't okay for me to say something to this person? I didn't know what to do, but one thing was for sure - I could not be around that person anymore. I had to leave. I'm not going to associate myself in any way with someone who does not treat me okay. I may not have known what I was allowed to say or do after the situation, but I knew I could remove myself from the situation. I let my husband stay, and told him I was going home. I got home and called my Mom to tell her and vent about what had just happened. I just cried and cried and cried. I felt like I had no control over what happened. I'm someone that sticks up for myself and others, and at the moment, I was just stuck.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? What did you do?

__________________________________________________________________

To go on with the rest of the weekend (I mean god, this was only the first day), the hubs and I just sat around and relaxed. We watched movies, played games, cooked together, slept in the mornings, just spent time together. It was nice. We took Whiskey to the dog park again, but she was way too distracted with her surrounding scents to be playful, so that ended fast. Our last free day we went to our friends house again and just watched t.v. and hung out. We went to Taco Bell and played some Monopoly. Despite the one disappointing thing that happened, it was still a pretty good weekend. 

Not the best quality, but awh Whiskey is adorable cuddling with my teddy bear.